Friday 6 July 2012

Summer Blog....Challenge Accepted

After reading my twitter feed this morning like I do every morning to get my daily news updates and find out what's happening in the world of connected educators I came across a favourite blogger and connected principal, who I was also lucky enough to see speak, George Couros (@gcouros) . I had originally decided to spend my summer blogging by reflecting on my past year but now have to decided to take Mr. Couros' challenge . I then continued on through my twitter feed and stumbled upon this blog "How to Ace Your Teaching Interview" posted by @Edtweeps.

I found this post really interesting. I have just finished my second year of teaching and consider myself a digital native but only because I was lucky enough to get a job in a school division who embraces and encourages teaching to the 21st Century Learner. Through my first two years of teaching I have changed how I used my twitter account (became more connected with other educators and educational technology), I started a blog and am spending my summer thinking of and coming up with ways I can used technology and social media more and more effectively in my classroom. However, if I were interviewed by the principle in the above blog two years ago....I don't think I would have been hired. It's not because I wasn't using technology in my teaching and it wasn't because I wasn't using social media or didn't have social media accounts. I don't think I would have been hired because when I did my post secondary education, use of technology was not used or demonstrated. In my "educational technology" class. I "learned" how to use Microsoft office (I grew up using Microsoft Office....I know how to use it!). In my the same class and my "Ethics and Law of Teaching" class I was instilled a fear of using social media....especially Facebook. We weren't told, check your privacy settings, create a professional account or now a page. We were shown the negative effects of having a Facebook account was and thus every year I see friends who change their name on Facebook for fear of "being found".

Twitter, edmodo, linkdin, etc weren't even mentioned. I never used or looked at Notebook until I started my practicum. Although I don't think I am quite where I want to be with being a connected teacher and encouraging and using technology to its fullest in my classroom...I think I would be hired by that principal today. So, I leave you with this, if you are a teacher if you went through the interview with the above principal, would you get hired? And, do you think Post Secondary Institutions are prepared teachers to teach 21st Century Learners?

No comments:

Post a Comment